Well, it's official. I've caught the running bug.
My Dad better be happy, cause he's responsible :)
I loved running the Ragnar Relay last year with my Dad, and was asked to be on multiple teams this year, but I said no because of the money. I decided one big race (my half marathon) was enough this summer. These races are so fun, but pricey.
So... after I finished the Half Marathon, I kind of took a break from training so hard. I've been riding my bike, hiking, going to aerobics again, and running "occassionally". You know, enjoying exercising again. (Sometimes training really sucks).
So... why a post about another Ragnar then?!!! Well... Thursday afternoon (June 14th) I got a call from my Dad's buddy Boyd Hawkin's begging me to sub for his daughter in the race (June 15th-16th, which was the very next morning), who ended up not being able to run last minute. He said it was already paid for, and all I had to do was run :) So, of course I said yes without thinking. And then I looked up the legs I had to run on the race, and the nervousness set in and I almost barfed. My Dad's still in Europe, and I wanted to talk to him so bad. I needed him to tell me I could do this. I needed my "coach". Him being gone only added to the sick feelings.
But guess what?!... I did it. And I lived... and I had a great time.
I was Runner #3
Leg 1- Friday at 12 noon- 6.8 miles- Rated: Hard
(This leg was so so soooo hot!! I was seriously melting. The course wasn't too bad, but the heat was a killer. I seriously would've given up, but an angel found me with 2 miles to go. I met up with some random girl and we ended up talking the last 2 miles, and pushed eachother to the finish line. She seriously saved me. The kind people who were watering their lawns during this leg saved me too.)
Leg 2- Friday at 10pm- 4.9 miles- Rated: Moderate
I loved this leg. One of my favorite things about Ragnar is running in the dark. I love not being able to see anything but the red back lamps of the runners in front of me. I saw a few deer run right in front of me on this leg too. I felt awesome on this run. It restored my confidence for my dreaded last leg. (Funny story... As I was waiting at the exchange, a runner took off their head lamp and chucked it at their next runner, but it smacked me right in the face. I laughed, and said, "Hello, I already have one black eye, I don't need another." People were constantly asking me if I got my black eye on the race. Gotta love it.
Leg 3- Saturday at 9:30am- 7.7 miles- Rated: Very Hard
I was dreading this run like crazy. I was so nervous, cause I remembered our runner doing it last year, and it looking ridiculously hard. It runs right up to Jordanelle Resevoir, so it was beautiful, but it was hard. So much up hill, and then when you thought you conquered the hill, you turned the corner, and there was another hill. Awesome. I tried to keep mentally strong, found a comfortable pace, and just dug deep. Once I finished I was so proud of myself. I can do hard things!!!
And here's our team "A Midsummer Night's Nightmare". Lucky Boyd, having to run with all us girls. I had a great time. I missed my Dad like crazy, but overall it was a great experience. I'll probably do this race again, but next time I do this I'm bringing Jordan along.

No comments:
Post a Comment