Saturday, May 14, 2011

Our First Garden

Wow!! I had a busy, exhausting day today. It started off bright and early when Jordan & I went to Layton park to plant flowers with Jordan's work. (It wasn't mandatory for bank employees, but it's always good to go the extra mile, and kiss a little butt when you're playing the political bank game). -Then I went on a run with my Dad that turned into a hike/"let's see if I can kill Shalyce" run. He wanted to take me on some hills to help with my training for the Ragnar that's coming up, and we did just that. 5.5 miles of hard trail and WOW just taking one week off of training really does you in. -Then my Dad came over to our house and helped us create a garden. The house we moved into was basically just grass in the back, and I REALLY wanted a garden, so we started digging up grass, tilled all the soil in, and wa-laa... I have a garden!!!! (That is, after a TON of work. Wow!!! Pulling up sod is HARD, EXHAUSTING work. Thank you Dad, and Jordan for your patience and muscles)
(PS... next summer we're going to work on putting up a fence. Our yard ends behind the garden, that's just a weed patch/commons area in the back)

-THEN... Jordan and I went to a few nursery's and bought a bunch a pretty flowers, and stuff to put in the garden. Since it was such nice weather we ended up planting it all. Now we have a nice garden complete with onions, cilantro, tomatoes, peppers, squash, and strawberries. The whole time I was planting it I kept singing in my head, "The Prophet said to plant a garden, so that's what we'll do..." It feels good to be doing what the Prophet wants us to do, and I couldn't help but think that my Grandma John was looking down on me smiling as I planted my first garden. Like she always said, "it is therapeutic to get your hands in the dirt." Now I hope it just grows.

4 comments:

Karen said...

That was the sweetest blog I've ever read. I need to read your blog book!! I started crying in this one about grandma. You are such an inspiration to me Shalyce. Love, Mom

The Monson Family said...

Way to go! We have a little garden here too, but we're not lucky enough to have a spot in the yard for a big one. (You are such a hard worker!)

Camille said...

Yeah! You'll love it. It turned out so nice. Sound's like you'll be making salsa in the fall! :)

By the way, you sound as though you are becoming quite the runner! Way to go!

Paul, Julianne and the Kids said...

Looks good girl! Hope it grows for you and doesn't freeze! :)